Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 62-64

Saturday
Ryan - Well I'm still alive and sane watching the kids. They have been great. We actually had some grocery shopping to do so I spent $29 to get some essentials for Jack, but over all we are making do with what we have in the kitchen. Gave the kids a bath so we didn't have to do it in the morning before church.
I guess the biggest thing that's been weird is not talking to Lizzy during her trip to NY. Normally we talk each night when one of us is out of town, but since she has no cell phone, she's been using her sister's phone to text message me. So you don't get much detail and I can't be too mushy in my replies. I don't want Ginny to think I'm making any passes at her. But I suppose this is the adjustment we have made. It just feels so prehistoric, with what we have available. But it's sort of refreshing too. When I grew up, you made your plans over the phone before you left the house, because there were no cell phones. My parents still function that way. They don't even have internet and I suspect they never will. As we partake of the new advancements in technology our expectations change and we change our mindset too and make it a necessity, when in reality it may or may not be. It's true that technology is a necessity financially, if it makes you more money and/or more efficient (i.e. time = money), but during this "cleansing" process we are going through, I'm learning to distinguish between wants and needs in this regard. I love technology and the new gadgets, so it's sometimes a temptation when I see everyone with an IPhone or Droid and want to get one, but mostly it's out of curiosity.

Monday
Ryan - Last full day of having the kids to myself. We had a lot of fun. I've really enjoyed this time and I love my kids even more and understand them even more. Gracie is just beautiful and full of life. Jack is so mellow and easy going. I love it when he smiles and headbutts to tell you he loves you. It will be weird to go back to work and have life go back to the way it was. It was nice to work from home so I didn't have to take so much vacation time. It did come at a little expense. During parts of the day, I did have to put Gracie off, to do some work. I tried working while Jack was asleep, but Gracie only took one nap one day this week, so she was always wanting me to play with her. So in that regard I felt bad, but I didn't have much choice.  Overall she did well when I was working on the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment