Friday, August 13, 2010

DAY 1

Lizzy- So to start the day I walked to work. I should be doing that normally since I live up the street lol. I've actually seen people in my neighborhood walk over there and by the time I get the kids in the car and drive over, find a space and unload the car, we basically make it to the door at the same time. I guess its just the thought of exerting energy. But really I could use the exercise so its a win win to start walking. Only in extreme weather will I drive so that the kids don't over heat or freeze. As we said in our basic rules fuel is allowed and not counted in this process. If it gets us somewhere we need to be or want to go its not an added expense. But if we find that we can walk or use other transportation that saves more $ then we will note it.  Ryan and I thought we would always put in our daily blog what things we were tempted to buy on the spot and their price. And not just wanting but REALLY tempted and struggled with so that we keep it as realistic as possible. It will be fun to see in a year what the total would be had we gone ahead and spent that money. Also we will create a section where we input all the ideas we use or hear from others that will help keep us on track. I need to come up with a name so until I think of it or someone suggests something I guess I will call it TIPS for now.


Ryan- Dear Diary...just kidding. This is my first blog post (if that's what you call it). I'm sure Ned and Brooklyn will laugh at me if or when they read this blog. (Love you guys and I love the color of your living room :)!)
I'm excited about this goal. If all goes according to plan, we'll have a lot of learning experiences and I'll be paying alimony and child support (how ironic, j/k). Anyways, time to get serious.
So far it's been relatively easy, I forgot my wallet, when I left for work. I was tempted to use my change jar at work to get a drink, 
but resisted that temptation.
I've received lot's of Facebook e-mail notifications (I rarely look at my account there, but I receive e-mails that someone has posted a comment there) from friends and family. All of them stating their support. I don't begrudge them if they think this is an impossible task, I would think the same thing too. I was talking to Steve  and I mentioned to him that I didn't want to us to beat ourselves up if we faltered even on one purchase, but it was more important to not fall off the wagon completely because of it. Of course our goal is to not allow that to happen.
I was thinking that to help us not fall into the rationalization trap, Lizzy and I should set a rule to make it a requirement that we both have to approve purchases that go beyond what she has already mentioned. This would provide an extra viewpoint, support, or protection on a questionable purchase.
Lastly, I may not be as detailed in my reports as Lizzy, but I will make sure to post each day and try  to provide insight I can learn from when I look back on this experience.

TIPS:
1. using Cetaphil  cleanser to remove my eye makeup has proven a success. I have yet to find one  that doesn't burn besides my Mary Kay product which I have loved and stuck with. So for this year that's one change to the wallet. I can buy 40oz for only $16 at Sams Club.
2. Just found out today that you can "check-out" a  pass to any national and state parks in Utah by going to your local library. WAY COOL. I didn't know this. Here is more info on it.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/utah-state-parks-and-recreation/check-it-out-state-park-passes-available-at-77-utah-libraries/413591658512
3. I watched an episode on TV where a family was conscious about turning off lights and un-plugging things in their home. Over years they had a running total and it was incredible the amount they saved. I  want to see how this effects things as well this year. When not in use we have unplugged the microwave, toaster, TV and computer. I will keep track myself on the utilities and see what the differences are each month.

$ IN POCKET:
WANTED ITEM: drink
COST: $1.25

YTD TOTAL: $1.25


No comments:

Post a Comment